Visual Communication (Graphic Design with Moving Image) HND @ SCQF Level 8
This course leads to HND certification in Visual Communication.
This course provides you with the opportunity to personalise learning and develop your creative and technical skills, analytical thinking, and professional practice within a specialist area of visual communication. These skills and experience will support your progression to studies at Degree level and working in the graphic design moving image or illustration sectors.
The HND in Graphic Design with Moving Image combines the development of innovative and creative thinking with technological skill. Through use of both digital and traditional media you can develop your skills towards exciting careers. Students have previously continued their studies and gone on to become Graphic Designers, Animators, Freelance Professionals, Magazine Directors, Multidisciplinary Designer and Print Specialists.
1 year Attendance: Full Time 2/3 days per week
Independent study time is also required.
- Completion of HNC Visual Communication
- Current college students will require a positive Progressing Learner Reference and core skills development
- Successful interview (external applicants)
- Portfolio of work
- You may be asked to complete a skills test as part of your interview.
Information and Interview Session Requirements
For external applicants:
Once we have received your application, where possible you will be asked to attend an interview. You must confirm your attendance. Your interview will last no more than 20mins and it is imperative you arrive on time, or you may be asked to reschedule.
Please remember that you are required to submit a portfolio of work prior to your Information and Interview Session. Please send this in digital format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Reviewing your portfolio will help our specialist staff to give you the best advice on which level of study and course is right for you at this time.
The following guidelines should be noted:
- A folio can consist of drawings, paintings, mixed media and 3D artwork, typography and layout, digital files, animation, video, or a combination of all.
- Neat and clean presentation is important.
- A maximum of 15 pieces and a variety of work is recommended.
- Please be prepared to discuss why and how you produced the creative work in your folio.
Applicants who do not bring their portfolio will be asked to reschedule their appointment.
Your HND offers the opportunity to hone your skills in a specific area of Visual Communication through the Self-Directed Project, and ensures you have experience of working on live briefs through the Client Project.
You are the key focus of this course with 60% of projects being directed by you to tailor your skills, experience, and portfolio to your chosen pathway to Degree studies or commercial practice. You are guided and always supported by our highly experienced Lecturers and guest speakers in our industry standard creative Mac studios with full Adobe Creative Cloud.
All SQA HN awards conclude with a Graded Unit. This is your opportunity to shine and complete an independent creative project that is graded A, B or C pass.
Successful completion of the full HND Graphic Design with Moving Image course will allow entry into the second or third year of a university degree course in visual communication or specialist areas such as graphic design, new media, or illustration.
Additional funding information
- Develop your specialist career pathway
- Develop your own creative style
- Guest speakers and workshops
- Opportunities for commercial creative briefs
- Produce a specialist portfolio for progression to degree level or employment
- Live projects