This course will give you a range of practical and theory-based skills in sports and fitness. You will develop your ability to plan and deliver sport and fitness activities. Through participation in a wide range of classes you will improve your leadership skills, gain valuable experience, and make yourself more employable.
Attendance: Full Time 2 or 3 days per week, additional hours for work experience and attendance in the evening may be required.
- Three National 5 Awards or equivalent,
- Successful completion of a SCQF Level 5 Sport & Fitness Programme,
- Other qualifications and/or experience
- If you are currently studying at Dumfries & Galloway College, you will also require a positive progressing learner reference
Information and Interview Session Requirements
Once we have received your application you may be given a date and time slot to take part in an interview. You must confirm your interview.It is important that you prepare well for your interview. During the information and interview session, we will ensure the entry requirements and your aspirations and career plan are appropriate for the course and the level of course you have applied for. During your Information and Interview Session, you will be expected to provide positive responses to questions relating to your course choice, your future career, and your previous experiences in sport & fitness.
- Exercise and Fitness (Cardiovascular, Free Weight and Circuit Training)
- Sport Development
- Sports Coaching/Leadership
- Communication, Numeracy, and IT
Assessment is ongoing throughout the year and includes practical assessments and project work.
- HNC Coaching & Developing Sport
- HNC Fitness, Health & Exercise
- Leisure facilities
- Sports coaching
- Fitness Instructing
- Supervisory roles in non-sport and fitness related industries
Additional funding information
You may be eligible for Bursary or EMA (Education Maintenance Allowance) funding for this course. Please contact a member of the funding team for details.
You will be taught by sports coaching staff with significant industry experience and a proven track record of bringing out the best in their students. Students will enjoy exciting practical and theory-based experiences in sport & fitness.
Learners can also expect:
- Trips and visits to local sport and fitness providers.
- Experience delivering in the community.
- Involvement in local events.