NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety – Virtual Classroom
The NEBOSH National General Certificate course provides a valuable overview of the core aspects of occupational health and safety, equipping you with the skills to manage workplace risks effectively.
The National Educational Board in Occupational Health and Safety (NEBOSH) is an independent examination board delivering vocational qualifications in health, safety and environmental practice and management. 87% of UK employers ask for a NEBOSH qualification when they are recruiting for health and safety roles.
Who is the NEBOSH National General Certificate course suitable for?
Relevant to every workplace, the NEBOSH National General Certificate is ideal if you are a manager or supervisor and have health and safety management responsibilities. We also recommend this course if you are embarking on a career in health and safety or wish to advance your career.
Learning outcomes of NEBOSH National General Certificate:
- Effectively manage health and safety.
- Identify and control common workplace hazards.
- Measure if you’ve been successful.
- Understand the UK’s legal requirements.
- Confidently carry out risk assessments.
- Develop and implement a detailed action plan.
- Manage and minimise workplace risks.
- Support and develop your company’s health and safety culture.
Course programme & Assessments
NEBOSH National General Certificate programme
Unit NG1: Management of Health and Safety
- Element 1 Why we should manage workplace health and safety.
- Element 2How health and safety management systems work and what they look like.
- Element 3Managing risk — understanding people and processes.
- Element 4 Health and safety monitoring and measuring.
Unit NG2: Risk Assessment
- Element 5 Physical and psychological health.
- Element 6 Musculoskeletal health.
- Element 7 Chemical and biological agents.
- Element 8 General workplace issues.
- Element 9 Work equipment.
- Element 10
- Element 11
The updated NEBOSH National General Certificate course now consists of two assessments:
- Unit NG1 includes an open book exam, which you do from home.
- Unit NG2 is a practical risk assessment, carried out at your workplace. This is longer than the previous GC3 assessment.
Exam dates are set by NEBOSH and can be found on our 'book a NEBOSH exam' page.
What is an Open Book Exam?
An open book exam assesses the same learning outcomes as an invigilated, paper-based exam. With an open book exam, you can have access to textbooks, course notes and the internet.
You can complete an open book exam in your own home, or another suitable location. You will have up to 24 hours to complete the NEBOSH open book exam, but we find that most candidates only take 4 – 5 hours.
The open book exam will assess your ability to apply your knowledge, as well as testing your analytical and critical thinking skills.
Please note: Exam dates are set by NEBOSH. You can find exam dates here.